6 Best Home Remedies for Acne and Pimples
Acne is a major skin problem for many people, especially teenagers. Not only does it affect your skin, but it can also impact your self-esteem. Acne is not life threatening, but severe acne can cause permanent physical scarring.
If you have severe or persistent acne, it’s always best to visit a dermatologist to figure out the best treatment plan for you. But if the acne mild or moderate, natural home remedies may do the trick in controlling your acne outburst. Here are some home remedies that you can use to get rid of acne naturally. Try each of these and take note of which treatments are more effective on your skin.
1. Aloe vera gel
Aloe vera gel is considered as one the best natural remedies for treating any type of skin issue, including acne.
Aloe vera contain salicylic acid, lupeol, phenols and sulfur, all of which help prevent bacteria that cause acne and reduce inflammation. It also helps to reduce the scars caused by acne or pimples by promoting skin regeneration.
You can get the gel directly by extracting it from the leaves of aloe vera or you can buy aloe vera gel (organic) from the Amazon store.
How to use aloe vera gel for acne
- Wash your face with a cleanser and lukewarm water.
- Apply aloe vera gel on the affected skin areas.
- Let it stay on your face for at least 20–30 minutes.
- Rinse off with lukewarm water and cleanse as usual.
- Repeat one to two times daily for faster relief from pimples.
2. Tea tree oil
Tea tree oil has strong antibacterial properties that can fight acne-causing bacteria such as P. acnes. In addition, it cleanses the pores of your skin and inhibits further growth of bacteria.
A study published in the Indian Journal of Dermatology, Venereology, and Leprology, showed that gels containing 5 percent tea tree oil were almost 4 times more effective at decreasing mild acne and 6 times more effective at moderate acne than placebo.
Please note that tea tree oil is very potent and can cause redness and irritation of the skin if applied directly on the skin. To avoid this, simply dilute tea tree oil in water before applying it to the skin.
How to use tea tree oil for acne
- Mix one drop of tea tree oil with nine drops of clean water.
- Dip a cotton bud into the mixture and apply it directly on the pimples.
- Apply moisturizer, if desired.
- Repeat this process one to two times per day.
Due to its antioxidant, antibacterial and antimicrobial properties, using honey on skin will keep your skin free of acne-causing bacteria and promote a clear and fresh-looking skin.
The one thing you need to keep in mind is that not all honey is created equal. The effectiveness of your honey as an antibacterial or anti-fungal agent is determined by the kind of honey you choose. For best results, always go for raw or manuka honey.
How to use honey for acne
- Wash your face gently with soap and warm water. Let your face dry on its own (don’t use a towel).
- Once your face is completely dry, apply honey to your face gently and leave it for at least 20 minutes.
- After this, rinse it off with warm water.
- Follow this remedy for a few months every day to get the desired result.
4. Green tea
Green tea contains flavonoids and tannins and research has shown that these polyphenols can help fight inflammation and bacteria that may cause pimples.
Green tea is also high in the antioxidant epigallocatechin-3-gallate (EGCG). EGCG may reduce sebum production and inhibit the growth of P. acnes in people with acne-prone skin.
How to use green tea for acne
- Add 2 tablespoon of green tea leaves to a cup of hot water and allow it to steep for 10 minutes.
- Wash your face with a facial cleanser and pat it dry with a clean towel.
- Dip a cotton pad in the tea and apply it directly on the affected areas.
- Leave it on for about 15 minutes and then rinse it off with cool water.
- Repeat this treatment 3-4 times a week.
Yogurt has natural anti-bacterial that can help prevent breakout of acne and ensure a healthy and clear skin.
Yogurt also contains lactic acid which helps remove dead skin cells. Lactic acid does not irritate the skin and also ensures proper removal of dead skin cells. This, in turn, stimulates the cells to renew faster.
How to use yogurt for acne
- Wash and clean your face with face cleaner and dry it properly.
- Use plain yogurt as a masker.
- Leave it on for around 15-20 minutes.
- Clean the masker with warm water.
6. Lemon juice
Lemons contain a natural astringent and antibacterial agent that acts as an exfoliant to help remove dead skin cells faster and prevent pimples from forming. Lemon also works as a natural bleach which helps lighten any kind of scars on your skin.
How to use lemon juice for acne
- Squeeze some lemon juice in a small bowl.
- Cleanse your skin with mild soap and water.
- Dip a cotton ball into the lemon juice and squeeze out the excess liquid.
- Apply the lemon juice to the acne-affected area.
- Leave it on the skin for 10 minutes or till the lemon juice dries out completely.
- Rinse the area with clean water, then pat dry with a clean towel.
- Repeat this remedy once or twice every day to help reduce or eliminate acne.