10 Natural Ways to Treat Insomnia
Everyone will have trouble sleeping from time to time. Depending on how insomnia affects you, you may have difficulty falling asleep or staying asleep. No matter what, trouble sleeping can negatively affect your life in many ways. Therefore treating insomnia is needed to overcome this problem.
Sleeping pills are often the first thing to try for most people with insomnia. However, sleeping pills do have side effects which may worsen the condition and it is not a cure for insomnia. Fortunately, there are many natural insomnia relief methods that can help you to get rid of insomnia. Here are some natural ways to treat insomnia:
- Turn off the lights. Light is known can affect one body’s ability to determine night from day which can affect your circadian clock. So, turn off all the lights when you’re going to bed. Unless you have issues with sleeping in the dark.
- Try taking a warm bath, having a glass of warm milk or listening to soothing music may help relax your body and mind which lead to a good night’s sleep.
- Do not take nap later than 3 pm. Take a nap is fine as long as it is only for about an hour and you take it before 3 pm. The later you take a nap, the harder you will get to sleep at night.
- Do not eat large or rich meals, especially in a few hours before you go to sleep.
- Try meditation and exercise such as yoga as it has a relaxing effect, which helping to prepare your body for sleep. But do not do strenuous activity immediately before bedtime.
- If you can not fall asleep, get up and reading or do something you find relaxing until you feel sleepy.
- Make sure your room temperature is comfortable. Set the temperature you enjoy sleeping at night. It is usually few degrees cooler than you’ll keep during the day.
- Avoid intake of stimulants such as caffeine, especially at the late night.
- Reduce intake of depressants such as alcohol and smoking during bedtime. Drinking alcohol may make you drowsy and cause you to get up early in the morning while smoking may cause night-time breathing problems.
- Try go to bed and wake up at the same time each day. This helps set your biological clock so your body know when to sleep and when to wake up.
Having a good night’s sleep is crucial for your health and allows you to live an active life. Start using these natural insomnia cures and enjoying a good night’s sleep.