Breast cancer is the most common cancer in women throughout the world. About one in every 8 women are estimated to develop breast cancer in their lifetime.
While there are certain risk factors, like genetics, that cannot be changed, but make some changes in your diet and lifestyle may reduce the risk of getting this disastrous disease. Here are some best ways to lower your chances of getting breast cancer.
- Eat a cancer prevention diet
To prevent breast cancer, eat a variety of foods with a focus on the cancer prevention foods below:
- High fiber foods help reduce cancer causing forms of estrogen in your bloodstream and can lower breast cancer risk by up to 50%. High fiber foods include beans, fresh fruits, whole grains, and vegetables.
- Allium vegetables, such as garlic, leeks, and onions help neutralize cancer-causing free radicals and prevent cancer cells from divided. They are among the best foods to eat to prevent breast cancer. For optimal result, eat allium foods raw as often as possible.
- Soybeans and healthy soy products such as miso, tofu, and tempeh have been shown to reduce the risk of breast cancer. But avoid highly sweetened and refined soy products, such as soy oils and soy milk.
- Be physical active
Research shows that women who exercise for at least 30 to 45 minutes a day have a 20-40% lower risk of developing breast cancer than those who are inactive. Aim for 30 minutes or more of moderate aerobic activities like brisk walking for five or more days a week.
- Maintain a healthy weight
Studies show that excess weight increases the chances of Breast Cancer. Due to this link between excess weight and cancer, people should maintain their body weight in a normal range.
- Limit alcohol consumption
Many studies show that excessive alcohol is a crucial risk factor for breast cancer. People who drink two or more alcohol a day increase the risk of breast cancer by 25-50%. So limit the alcohol consumption by drink only one glass a day.
- Take high quality nutritional supplements
To prevent breast cancer and other diseases you need supplements that include all the essential vitamins and minerals. Adequate levels of vitamins A, D, E are very important to prevent breast cancer.
- Drink green Tea
Drink four or more glasses of green tea each day. Green tea is rich in EGCG (Epigallocatechin-3-gallate), a compound that helps stop breast cancer cells from growing.
- Have a good fats
Type of fat in your diet can affect your breast cancer risk. Maximize intake of Omega-3 fats, especially from oily fish (such as, salmon, tuna, sardines, mackerel, lake trout and herring) and minimize consumption of Omega 6 fats (corn, cottonseed oils, safflower and sunflower) can helps prevent the risk of breast cancer.
- Don’t smoke or breathe in secondhand smoke
Women who smoke or are constantly exposed to second-hand smoke are up to 40% more likely to develop breast cancer.
- Minimize Exposure to pharmacologic estrogen and xeno-estrogen
Do not take prescription estrogen unless medically indicated. Lifetime exposure to estrogen plays an important role in the development of breast cancer. Also avoid estrogen like compounds found in environmental pollutants, such as pesticides and industrial chemicals.
By following the tips above will help you prevent the risk of breast cancer and help you stay healthy and enhance the quality of your life.