Sex therapy is a type of psychotherapy, which help someone to eliminate worry about sexual function, sexual sense and intimacy issues. This therapy can be done individually or with a partner.
Most people would feel awkward and embarrassed when talk about sexual issues. But if the problem is not handled properly it could worsen the relation with the partner that trigger divorce or infidelity.
Sex therapy is usually given by a doctor, psychologist or therapist who has training license for sex and relationship problems. This therapy is generally done in short term depend on the sex problems that he/ she faced.
According to Mayoclinic, sex therapy can help resolve many sexual problems that can affect the partner relationship. A person needs sex therapy if they have the following problems:
- Worry about the desire or sexual arousal
- Compulsive sexual behavior
- Erectile dysfunction
- Premature ejaculation
- Anorgasmia problem, a condition where a person unable to reach orgasm in a reasonable of time during sexual activity
- Pain during sexual intercourse (Dyspareunia)
- Intimacy problems associated with chronic conditions or disabilities
If the sexual disorders have disturbing relationship with a partner or arouse discomfort, then a person need to consult with a therapist. They will give the right treatment to solve the problems and improve communication as well as intimacy.
If you already have a spouse, therapy usually will involve couples in several meetings and give the task to be done by both, including:
- Reading together about sexual techniques.
- Slow down and focus on sensing in sexual relations.
- Change the ways of interaction with your partner during sex.
Most sexual problems that need sex therapy related to various fundamental problems such as stress, anxiety or depression. Even though, sex problems are also can be cause by chronic disease, medication side effects and postoperative effects.